Saturday, September 18, 2010

When life gives you lemons . . .

Life is truly wonderful, no matter how good or bad it is. Lately has seemed like a deluge of trials and things breaking, but no matter how big, it was always taken care of, or eliminated due to not really needing it anyway. It's nice to simplify our life, even if it is under frustrating circumstances. I am so grateful that we have been given these opportunities to re-evaluate our situation and decide what's really important.

So, in the past month, we decided to take our little house off the market b/c not one person came to look at it. Our car and washing machine died on the same day. What a bummer. Our desktop computer, used by our sweet little girl for games, decided to go black one day and hasn't opened it's eyes since, no matter how much I kick it ;). Our lawnmower wouldn't start or stay running. The not-so-reliable truck's tire got a huge bulge and tore a hole in the side wall, and the one opposite from it went flat once or twice a week anyway, so we went from two cars to one to none! When we finally got our car back with a completely new engine, it had a flat as well, so more tires were required. All of this was on top of small, everyday needs and fixes and multiple trials being faced by other family members (my brother's car died the same week mine did!). Even my own body seemed to rebel during this time, failing my 1-hour glucose test at my 28-week doctor visit. So many things to fix, so many trials, so many worries and "what-if's" . . .

Much to my surprise and relief, every single trial we faced has been taken care of, and not one was what we expected. We found someone who could fix our car cheaper that expected, we found a washer/dryer combo for $85, we decided to share mommy's computer (which has made mommy a little more productive), my dad let us borrow his truck and found tires for our truck in the meantime (thanks Dad, I don't know how Justin would've had time otherwise), then he helped me find tires for the car. Dad helped Justin fix the lawnmower, too. Mom helped us figure out financing to cover all these unexpected expenses and let me borrow the van when I needed it, too. Mom and Dad were helping Stephen with his car, David with his mission, and Daniel starting high school/college/seminary as well as replacing tires of their own -- I think we counted 16 new tires for our family in one month! It seemed like everything was going wrong for everyone and that no one would be able to help us. It still amazes me how helping others during your trials brings answers to your own problems! Service is definitely a big part of our Heavenly Father's plan for our happiness. Everything has worked out for everyone.

And I just found out, after a bruising 3-hour sugar test, that I DON'T have gestational diabetes this time!!! I really contribute that to being on Reliv. I know that I must be even more vigilant to eat right so that the baby and I can stay healthy and growing at a good rate, but it is amazing to have it with my first and not with the next. See? Everything works out!

My testimony has certainly grown over this past month. We were afraid we'd have to buy a new car (or two), purchase a brand new washer, get a new computer, find a new lawnmower, and prick my finger 4 times a day for the next few months. It's funny how your mind seems to gravitate to worst-case-scenario when things go wrong. The Lord knew everything that was happening or going to happen, and already had a plan in place. He wanted us to go to him in prayer and learn once again that He is in charge and loves His children and is mindful of every little thing. Looking back, all of this wasn't a very big deal, it just seemed like it while we were in the middle of it. It makes me realize that we needed more faith, and next time when things go wrong, not to worry so much.

We've even received some unexpected blessings during this time of trial. Justin just got an unexpected promotion at work as the Quality Assurance Inspector! He works 12 hours nearly every day, but it's come in handy. On his rare days off (or in the dark after work), Justin has been working on his garden for next year (20'x44'!), and it has come along quite nicely. Lauren was accepted into 4K and was able to ride the bus while we were vehicle-less. I've learned to use a pressure canner and dehydrator with almost no cost to me, and have had all the energy I need to go about my days despite being great with child. We're even contemplating adding onto our house, since it wouldn't sell. There's really no end to the mercy and favor we find with the Lord!

I hope we've learned to trust in the Lord more. I don't like learning the hard way! It really is easier to believe than to see with your own eyes.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! When little, inconvenient and big things happen all at once, it always seems like more than you can bear. But Heavenly Father always finds a way to help us in our time of need.

    ReplyDelete